Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Subaru OEM Wide band O2 sensor idea

  1. #21
    Inactive Member G3-TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 1999
    Posts
    678
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This question has kind of been on the back of my mind during this entire topic so I think I'll just go ahead and ask for peace of mind.

    Is the wiring diagram/schematic to built an electonic unit to monitor the voltages from a WIDE BAND O2 the 'same' as the unit used on a NON-wide band O2?

    If that is the case, then why can't we just use an off the shelf meter (Autometer, haltec etc) and just install a wide band O2 unit in the exhaust to wire it up to?

    If I am mistaken, then I must ask, ArturboGSR - Is that schematic specific for the use with a wide band O2 sensor?

    Anyone shed some light on that?

  2. #22
    Inactive Member FB's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2000
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    My mind is drawing a blank, but I believe the
    NSX one varies resistance across two wires...

    Or was that current? I don't remember. I do know that it is NOT voltage, so you cannot just switch a normal heated one with a wide band. If I remember correctly, the wide-bands are 5-wire.

    Mit

  3. #23
    Inactive Member 12SecGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2000
    Posts
    236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    wide band O2 sensors have at least 5 wires, some have 6... if the NSX O2 sensor is only aprox. $150, it is probably just a 4 wire like on our gsr's

  4. #24
    Inactive Member ArturboGSR98's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 1999
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Zip for clearing that up.
    As for the Schematic I posted it only has three wires +12v, Ground, and the varied voltaged from the O2 sensor. Meaning, then what do the other 5 or 6 wires that come off the Wide band O2 from the NSX or WRX?

    If Im not mistaken, A O2 sensor is a Thermistor that varies resistance when heated and changes the voltage output according to Ohms Law.

    G3, I had the same Idea of getting a Halmeter and hooking it up to the wide band O2. Now I dont know the exact out/imputs or how many wires are on the halmeter, but I think there are 3.
    See if you can find out how many wires are on the O2 for the WRX. I can get the one for the Nsx. www.halmeter.com

    HalmeterDO
    art



    [This message has been edited by ArturboGSR98 (edited April 24, 2001).]

  5. #25
    Inactive Member zip's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 1999
    Posts
    1,160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm...five wire AF, it may contain:

    +12V for heater
    GND for heater
    +5V for the sensor
    signal line
    shielded ground for signal line

    the six wire may contain:
    +12V for heater
    GND for heater
    +5V for the sensor
    negative sensor reference
    signal line
    shielded ground for signal line

    Just guessing.


    ------------------
    Mods

    [This message has been edited by zip (edited April 24, 2001).]

  6. #26
    Inactive Member ArturboGSR98's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 1999
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Zip, your guess is as good as mine. But that would make sense though.

    Is Daly city in the Bay area?

    art

  7. #27
    Inactive Member FB's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2000
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    The NSX also uses wide-bands. They run about 130-160 bucks each. They do not vary voltage, though.

    Mit

  8. #28
    Inactive Member G3-TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 1999
    Posts
    678
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm ok, i'll see what i can dig up on the wide band O2 wiring.

    In any case, I guess we're back to square one for making an electronic device to display the wide band O2 voltages in the car correct?

    What do we do now? boohoo frown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •